How to get into Canada after being denied entry

Being denied entry to Canada can be extremely frustrating, especially if you had vacation plans that you’ve already spent money on! If you have a criminal record or a medical condition, you can denied entry to Canada at the border or port of entry, even if you are a United States citizen with a valid passport. If you have been denied entry to Canada, there is still a way to enter Canada: a temporary resident permit. Even if you are only worried you may be denied entry to Canada, you should look into obtaining a temporary resident permit anyway to avoid future disappointment. Denied Entry to Canada

How to get into Canada after being denied entry

1. Discuss your situation with a licensed immigration lawyer. A licensed immigration lawyer can review your personal circumstances, your reason for wanting to visit Canada and your criminal background, determining if you are eligible for a temporary resident permit and whether applying for one is a good idea.

2. Make sure you have all of the supporting documentation you’ll need to apply for a temporary resident permit. This supporting documentation could include proof of your ties to your home country (such as information about your assets, address and employment or family information), all of the information relevant to your criminal case, and other documentation that may change depending on your personal situation. For example, if your criminal record is related to drugs you may need to obtain a clearance certificate from your doctor after passing a drug test.

3. Make an application for a temporary resident permit.

4. Ask a licensed immigration lawyer/attorney to review your application and supporting documentation to make sure it is all in order and that you haven’t made any mistakes or omissions in your temporary resident application.

5. Submit your application for a temporary resident permit and pay the fee, which can range from $75 to $150 CDN depending on the type of temporary resident permit you apply for.

We are always available to help you prepare your application for a permanent resident visa in Canada! Contact us using the form on the right today.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.