Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit for Canada from Houston in 2012

Did you know that hundreds of thousands of people visit Canada every year? Many of these people must apply for a temporary resident permit before they can arrive in Canada. A temporary resident permit is also called a temporary resident visa, a visitor’s visa or a TRP/TRV.  

Who does not need a temporary resident permit for Canada?

Many people do not require a temporary resident permit to come to Canada. Some examples of people who do not need a temporary resident permit to come to Canada include people from the United States, Australia, Bahamas, Greece, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Japan, Italy, France, Finland, Denmark and Costa Rica. United States permanent residents and citizens of Britain and British territories also don’t need a temporary resident permit to visit Canada. The full list can be found here.

Who does need a temporary resident permit for Canada?

Anyone who is not on the list of visa-exempt countries will need a temporary resident permit if they are to visit Canada. In addition, people from visa-exempt countries could need a temporary resident permit under certain circumstances. For example, a United States citizen with a criminal record may need a temporary resident permit to enter Canada or they could risk being turned away at the border.

Countries are added to the list of countries that require a visa frequently as situations around the world change. For example, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Namibia, Botswana and Swaziland were just added to the list this month.

If you are coming to Canada for something other than just a visit, work permits and study permits in Canada are also types of temporary resident permits.

Let us help you ensure your temporary resident application is perfect and you are ready to come to Canada – remember, obtaining a temporary resident permit isn’t a guarantee you will be let into Canada. You need to be prepared! Please give us a call at the number above or e-mail us.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.