Sponsor family to the USA

Did you know that if you’re a US citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) you may be eligible to sponsor some of your family members to live with you in the United States permanently? 

A sibling or a parent could sponsor you to come to the United States. They must be a close relative for you to be sponsored.

What are the requirements for a sponsor?

There are very strict requirements about who can sponsor someone to live in the USA. They are as follows:

1. The sponsor must be a green card holder or a United States citizen and have the legal government documentation to prove it.

To be sponsored, you must be a spouse, a child, a sibling over 21 years old or a parent over 21 years old. This is only for US citizens. Permanent residents can only sponsor spouses, and their children so long as they are unmarried.

They must be able to file an I-130 to sponsor you.

They must earn an income that is 125% above the poverty line.

The must be over age of 18.

They must have an address in the United States.

If the sponsor meets the requirements, they can fill out an I-184 Affidavit of Support and a family-based immigrant visa form, which can vary depending on the type of person being sponsored.

Take care to note that family sponsorship applications are extremely difficult to get approved and can take a very long time to process. The government will need to know that you are eligible and that you will be able to sponsor your loved ones in the true sense, meaning financially support them when they come to the United States.

This is one of the most important immigration applications there is – it means your family will be back together, in the United States. Please do not leave such an important immigration application to chance. We can help you bring your family to the United States. When we assess your case, we’ll let you know if you are eligible to sponsor your family members, and then we can help you make it happen. Contact us at the phone number at the top of this page as soon as possible. You are closer than you think!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.