Have you been Refused Entry to Canada?

Do you have Criminal Record?

You may require a Temporary Resident Permit also known as a TRP.
A Temporary Resident Permit or TRP is a Canadian immigration Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. It allows you to enter to Canada as a visitor, worker or student even if you are considered inadmissible to Canada due to a criminal record or certain medical conditions.

In some cases, Temporary Resident Permits or TRPs can be issued to people applying for Canadian immigration who are also inadmissible due to Criminal records or certain medical problems.

Why am I being denied entry to Canada?

Canadian immigration regulations are strict when it comes to even minor criminal offenses, even for offences that have occurred many years ago. It is always important to consulate with a Canadian immigration lawyer regarding any possibility of refusal or denial of entry to Canada due to criminal offences. A qualified Canadian immigration lawyer can advise you on whether your criminal offence makes you inadmissible to Canada or not.

What if I have been refused entry to Canada? What do I do?

If you have been denied or refused entry to Canada due to a criminal record or a criminal offence, the procedure is that you make an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a Temporary Resident Permit or TRP. If you are a U.S. Citizen or a citizen from a visa exempt country, you could apply for your temporary resident permit at the Canada/US Border or Port of Entry such as a land border or airport. If you are approved a Temporary Resident Permit, you will be granted your TRP right away at the border.

However, there are some risks to consider in applying for a TRP at the border or airport. You could be refused and turned away at the border. In some very unusual cases, you could be detained by the Canada Immigration authorities but this is rare.

In most cases, TRPs are submitted to a Canadian Consulate or Canadian Embassy for processing. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit at a Canadian Consulate in the US. However, the downside for applying at a Canadian consulate rather than the border is that processing times for TRP applications at the Canadian consulate sometimes can take a number of months.

How long are Temporary Resident Permits issued for ?

The duration of your TRP varies depending on the circumstances of your case. TRPs. can be for a number of months or years and they could be for a single entry to Canada or for multiple entries to Canada.

What if my criminal offence occurred many years ago?

In certain cases, if your conviction occurred 5 years ago or longer, you may be eligible to make an application for Criminal Rehabilitation to enter Canada. A Criminal Rehabilitation application, if approved, will wipe out your criminal inadmissibility that prevents you from entering Canada.

Like the Temporary Resident Permit, an application for Criminal Rehabilitation can be made at a Canada/US border if you are a U.S. Citizen or a national from a visa exempt country. Or you can make an application for criminal rehabilitation at a Canadian Consulate or Embassy. You should always consult with a qualified Canadian immigration lawyer to determine whether you qualify for Criminal Rehabilitation.

Where can I get help if I have been refused entry to Canada?

If you have been denied entry to Canada, please call Niren & Associates Immigration lawyers for a consultation regarding your problems at the Canada border.